Monday 20 January 2014

Cambridge Favourites: Afternoon Tease

I can't believe that Afternoon Tease has only been open twelve weeks, it's already one of my favourite spots in Cambridge. If you are ever looking for me at 10am on a Sunday morning (I'm not sure why you would be but just in case) it's quite likely you will find me at this cosy spot on King St enjoying a tasty brunch. First things first, the coffee is outstanding. They use beans from local favourite Hot Numbers as well as London based Caravan. I didn't even know what a cortado was until I started coming here. In fact I'm still a bit hazy on the difference between a cortado and an espresso macchiato. Whatever they are, I am addicted to them now, particularly in the fabulous vintage cups they serve them in at Afternoon Tease. I like coffee in a small cup. I'm not sure why, I just do.

The fabulous cortado at Afternoon Tease

I don't work in Cambridge so weekend brunch is about the only chance I get to pop in. The brunch menu changes every week, though thankfully the fantastic crumpets with homemade jam are usually a regular item. Who could resist offerings such as griddled cornbread with perfectly ripe avocado, scrambled eggs & chorizo on sourdough or corn fritters with bacon and avocado? Not me that's for sure.

Brunch heaven

I haven't even mentioned the wonderful cake yet. I don't seem to have any pictures of cake, I obviously don't even pause for a photo when it comes out. Jo's cake was the cornerstone of the success of my Christmas drinks party. Step 1: purchase entire chocolate Guinness cake from Afternoon Tease, step 2: decorate with plastic doodahs. Party happiness guaranteed.

Christmas chocolate Guinness Cake


For you strange folks who don't like coffee, they carry a delightful range of local Kandula tea. Even I occasionally forsake the cortados, mainly to get a go of these teapots (I have to find myself one of these cow teapots).

Tea. In a teapot with a cow on it.
I have given this friendly cafe a thorough try out over the last couple of months and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Coffee, cake, lunch, brunch and evening shenanigans - they have it all covered. 

Afternoon Tease, 13 King St, Cambridge CB1 1LH
Tue - Fri: 08:00 - 18:00
Sat: 09:00 - 17:00
Sun: 10:00 - 16:00

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou for your kind words Aoife! The cow teapot shall now be yours whenever you visit :)
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I love that cow, he has a rather knowing smile.....

      Delete