Saturday 7 March 2015

Cambridge favourites: FoodCycle



I had been meaning to volunteer with FoodCycle for ages before I finally got around to it. But I was busy, always terribly busy. Towards the end of last summer, I had the startling realisation I was unlikely to get any less busy and that I should just get on with it. I am so glad I pulled myself together.


FoodCycle runs volunteer led community projects across the UK, working to reduce food poverty and social isolation by serving tasty, nutritious meals to vulnerable people. All the meals served are made using surplus food.

Everyone loves croutons....
When you tell people you spend a couple of Saturday's a month cooking or cleaning up after a meal made this way they tend to tell you you are wonderful. This makes me feel like a very big fraud. I get so much more out of it than I have to put in. For one, it's often the best meal I have all week (come along to our Saturday lunch at 12.30 in St Paul's if you don't believe me). I get great recipe ideas from the other volunteers. It's always good fun whether cooking or clearing up and I've met so many fabulous people, other volunteers and guests.

Cambridge FoodCycle is launching a second meal on the 18th March. We'll be cooking at Barnwell Baptist Church on Howard Road on the first and third Wednesdays of every month. If you'd like to get involved just sign up here.

A fabulous menu from January

Main course ready to serve

Soup always goes down well

No comments:

Post a Comment